Support & Advice inc. Physiotherapy self referral


Physiotherapy/Musculoskeletal Self-Referral

If you are suffering from a condition that affects your muscles, joints, or bones, you can now self-refer into NHS MSK (musculoskeletal) services. These include Physiotherapy and Specialist clinics.

Please refer yourself by clicking here to access the referral form or alternatively pick up a paper form from the surgery reception.

If you wish to contact this service, telephone: 0300 303 8063. On calling the service you will be provided with several options which will direct you through to the necessary pathway for referral.

We are keen to help patients improve on self help and hope that the following information will offer some insight into that.

Take a look and see if you can improve your own understanding of your health and well-being! Please encourage others to look here too.

Here is a list of ailments that can be safely self managed. You will see that you can take a look via the hyperlink at the other websites which can offer you further information about managing your condition.

Common ailments that can be self managed :

Back pain

NHS Choices

Cold sores

NHS Choices

Common Cold

NHS Choices


NHS Choices

pdfInformation Leaflet


NHS Choices


NHS Choices

pdf Information Leaflet


NHS Choices

Dysmenorrhoea (painful periods)

NHS Choices


NHS Choices


NHS Choices  


NHS Choices

Head lice

NHS Choices


NHS Choices

Heartburn & Indigestion

NHS Choices


NHS Choices

pdf Information Leaflet

Insect bites

NHS Choices


NHS Choices

Nasal congestion

NHS Choices

Nappy rash

NHS Choices

Sore throat

NHS Choices

pdf Information Leaflet


NHS Choices

Sprains and strains

NHS Choices


NHS Choices

Warts and Verrucas

NHS Choices

For children and young people - advice for parents/carers

Below are some additional help sheets for conditions that have been created specifically for parents and carers

Asthma/Wheeze Advice Sheet (for children and young people aged 1 year and older) 

Bronchiolitis Advice Sheet (for children younger than 2 years)

Diarrhoea and/or Vomiting Advice Sheet (for children younger than 5 years)

Fever Advice Sheet (for children younger than 5 years)

Head Injury Advice Sheet

Sepsis Advice Sheet (for children younger than 12 years)

Find It Out Centre and Youth Emotional Support Service - for teenagers / young adults

Did you know there is a Find It Out Centre in Horsham for patients aged 16-25 looking for: 

  • careers advice
  • education (access to college prospectuses and help with applications)
  • employment and training (how to write a CV or search for jobs or apprenticeships)
  • family and relationships (talk through a personal problem or get advice on sex and relationships)
  • health advice (diet, exercise, drugs and alcohol)
  • housing and homelessness (how to access local housing services)
  • advice on how to get legal help and what to do if you are a victim of crime
  • personal finance and the benefits you may be entitled to
  • access free emotional support from the YES Service

Visit: for more information

Youth Emotional Support (YES) Service - for patients aged 11-18

This is a free service for young people aged 11-18 looking for support with their well-being. (Note: The referral must be received before the young person turns 18.)

Some of the things they can support you with include:

  • your mood
  • feeling anxious
  • relationship issues
  • self-injury
  • unhelpful thoughts
  • self esteem
  • sufficient life event
  • anything that might be worrying you.

Visit for more information - or contact the Horsham Find It Out Centre above for help booking an appointment with YES.

Change - Grow - Live - Drug and Alcohol Support

July 2020 Newsletter

Breast Screening 

West Sussex Breast Screening Service

pdfChoose Well

NHS Choices Health Information

NHS Tools

pdfHealth Advice

Medicine Sick Day Rules

When You Should Stop Taking Your Medication?

When you are unwell with any of the following:

  • Vomiting or diarrhoea (unless only minor)
  • Fevers, sweats shaking

Then STOP taking the medicines listed here. Restart when you are well (after 24-48 hours of eating and drinking normally). If you are in any doubt, please contact us or your pharmacist.

  • ACE Inhibitors: Medicine names ending in 'pril' e.g. lisinopril, perindopril, ramipril
  • ARBs: Medicine names ending in 'sartan' e.g. losartan, candesartan, valsartan
  • NSAIDs: Anti-inflammatory pain killers e.g. ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen
  • Diuretics: Sometimes called 'water pills' e.g. furosemide, spironolactone, indapamide, bendroflumethiazide
  • Metformin: A medicine for diabetes

Pan – Sussex Children and Young People and Family Eating Disorder Service launched

They will accept referrals for children and young people age 10 – 18 years old who are resident in Sussex and are registered with a GP in Sussex.

The service will offer comprehensive assessment, treatment and managed discharge for the following

  • Anorexia nervosa
  • Bulimia nervosa
  • Avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder including binge eating disorder

The service will operate 7 days a week and you can self-refer by calling 01444 472670 or 07391 010452 (Out of office hours).

Youth Emotional Support (YES)

The YES service offers a voluntary service for young people aged 11-18 years that helps them to identify, acknowledge and work through difficulties they may be facing that are having a negative impact on their emotional wellbeing.

The YES service is aimed at young people aged 11 - 18 years who are finding the challenges of adolescence too much to manage and are presenting behaviours such as:

  • Self harming
  • Low Mood
  • Difficult relationships at home and with friends
  • Anger issues
  • Low self-esteem and confidence
  • Anxiety
  • Sleeplessness
  • Feeling life is not worth living
  • Disengagement from participation and education
  • Difficulty with eating and weight
  • Concerns regarding Sexual Exploitation

 For further information go to

Information for Older Drivers

Sussex Safer Roads - information for Older Drivers

Horsham Children & Family Centre

Horsham Hub Facebook Poster

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website